Sizing, Recording and slowly going nutz

Home Forums Products Blog Details Quart Oil Bottles Sizing, Recording and slowly going nutz

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MicroTraxx 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

I had posted up my 1:87 Quart Oil Bottles and Racks the other day. I am still not sure how well they came out .. awaiting a report on that from Tony Burgess on how they came out. IN THE MEANTIME .. after I posted up on them I was asked about 1:48. That is when I realized that I needed to align my water fowl because I couldn’t make heads nor tails out of my files for the 1:48 oil bottles and racks.

I have recently started a spreadsheet to attempt to keep better track of the various models, different versions, filename, location on harddrive and such.

Sitting here this morning and starting to get back to it .. my brain was fried last night and I quit when I realized I was running in circles lost like a brand new Butter Bar.

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

Up into the 1940’s if you went to a gas station for oil you would purchase it in quart glass oil bottles. Think of a glass milk bottle with a metal spout. They were usually in a wire rack but sometimes sheetmetal and sometimes wood.

My first attempt was in 1:48 was to make a ‘wooden rack’ to hold 8 bottles. I call this my Version 1 rack.

This worked but that vertical ‘handle’ is relatively weak. The walls only 0.3mm thick .. it had a tendency to snap off at the base. Darn it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  .

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

Soo. I added gussets .. extending the dividers up which should solve problems with the handle bit breaking off. FUD is fragile so it is still possible if you are heavy-handed but you can’t fix everything. Shrug.

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

I started getting problems last night when attempting to upload a set of 10 racks and 80 bottles to Shapeways. They were telling me the models were too small.

Now .. the original files were from back in 2014 and I am not even sure what scale they were designed in .. so I may have managed to mess it up on my own. That’s what I will be looking at next.

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

Sooo. In a state of confusion I started to question the “sizeof” the crates, the bottles and such. I ran to eBay and did a search for “Glass Oil Bottles” and found a reference to them being about 14″ tall.

Off to Shapeways then to a set of 80 oil bottles. They are on a sprue (well .. actually two sprues .. the square one holding everything together and a short stalk to connect the bottles to that sprue)

http://shpws.me/F46n

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

As the owner of this model I can look at the upload screen for measurements.

Since the bottles were uploaded I wanted to pay attention to the Z axis. That 0.928cm / 0.365″ dimension is the height of the bottles plus the two sprues.

That 0.928 mm in O scale coverts to 17.52″ full-size. Remember though, the sprues. Shapeways tells us that a minimum wire (sprue that holds things) is 1mm. I had two sprues .. the square and the round one .. so subtract two mm and we get 0.728 mm .. which is 13.75″ .. which is “good nuff” for the “about 14” height for the bottles). Yea.

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

Still checking. I pulled out a single bottle and .. cool .. 7.276 mm tall. Checks out almost exactly.

MicroTraxx
    Keymaster

So the question comes back .. why was I getting an error from Shapeways last night that models were too small to print?

I loaded the 80 bottle stl file into NetFabb and the height is 9,28 mm. Correct.

I loaded the 10 crates stl file into NetFabb and the height is 8,74 mm. Again, correct.

Finally,  loaded the crates and bottles stl file into NetFabb and the height is 10.26 mm. The small difference is simply that I didn’t bother aligning the base of the two bottle and crate meshes. This is then also correct.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.